Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Computer Epiphany

I realized that the computer is both a window, letting light in, and a black hole, sucking the user in/down. 
I have therefore decided that I will extremely limit my computer time when the girls are around/awake.  I will be better able to enjoy the here-and-now and "be present" if the computer is simply not in use.

It CAN be a window- to learn things, to interact with other adults, to pursue interests.  But it can also be a black hole or "quick sand" that you initially want to explore but then can't extricate yourself from when you need to let go of it.

My ideal work time will be during Nesya's naps while Adira is at school.  My ideal nighttime activities also don't revolve around electronics- rather, nighttime is for intellectual, spiritual, physical, artistic pursuits.  I can relax near Robert while he works, or even do some cooking and cleaning.  But the computer isn't the top choice for that, no matter how interesting the things are that can be found there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please submit any comments here and I will try to address them quickly!