Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Mom's 9th Yartzheit project

A project I did for my mom's 9th yahrtzeit last month - shared on Facebook, copied below.  It had a good response, and the people who requested books were very eager for the book and to do something in Mom's memory.



Tonight marks nine years since my mom passed away. (The anniversary is called "yartzheit.") She was about to start enjoying the "golden years" when cancer struck hard. We've missed her tremendously, but we hold her very close in our hearts. I only wish she could have lived much longer, and that we could have seen her age gracefully and enjoy this time. To learn a little more about her, you may reference my blog (which is otherwise not so well updated...) Thank you to everyone who helped us through the tough times. Your friendship is such a blessing. http://bonanzaofblessings.blogspot.com/p/my-moms-legacy.html

For this year's yartzheit, I came up with a special idea based on how she was such a wonderful role model to our family and was admired by everyone who knew her. She was a person with whom no one could have gripes! She was a great person in so many ways, and I've always wanted to emulate her to the max, and that has inspired my project for her yartzheit. I have chosen the subject of "learning from great people." You may be inspired by learning about my mom from the link above and I do love to talk about her legacy if you indulge me. Ah, If only I could master some of the things she did so naturally....well, I can keep trying! Her yartzheit is even a good opportunity for me to revisit and re-examine some of her attributes that I must strive harder to emulate. I must keep trying.

So, the idea this year is emulating greatness. And to tie it in personally to my (our) life, the subject of greatness I'd like to introduce to you is a Jewish figure of international fame (especially through the 1990s, but whose legacy keeps multiplying,) the Lubavitcher Rebbe, Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson. Don’t make any assumptions here- he was a leader of our entire generation Jewish people and non-Jews, too!! PLS don’t stop reading now and dismiss this as not your kinda thing. there is so much more than meets the eye!!! In preparation for my mom's yartzheit I have been reading four (eventually five) books about the Rebbe. I only knew of him loosely, as the inspiration for many rabbis and rebbetzins that have touched my life over the last 17 years. From reading, I've been blown away by the details of the Rebbe's life work- and more personally, by his emissaries. I was so inspired once I began reading the first book (over Robert's shoulder- he had bought it on his own interest in the subject,) that I came up with this idea of sharing my affinity for this incredible human being with others and hopefully inspiring others to study the greatness of special people in memory of my mom's yartzheit. See below for my book offer, but whether you take this idea and apply it to any admirable person (by reading a biography,) or are interested in my particular project on the Rebbe, I'll be thankful and pleased. It will be a tribute to her soul that spurred by her life legacy, you are striving for your potential and more greatness in life. Please share with me if you take this idea and run with it your own way, also!!

Here's the offer- if you are personally interested in reading my top choice or two of books about the Rebbe, I (Robert and I) would like to gift you with the book that suits you best about him, for your enjoyment, awe, and inspiration. The primary two choices I'm suggesting are a NY Times Best Seller called Rebbe by Joseph Telushkin (my true top recommendation,) and Toward a Meaningful Life by Simon Jacobson. Simply message me if you are considering taking part in this tribute project! Please don't hesitate to let me know if you are interested. We'll be happy to send you a copy. And maybe some flower seeds, because my mom loved gardening, too! 💗

This below was a follow up with some other things I wanted to share-

IHO my mom's yartzheit, I'd like to tie up some interesting "facts" and special memories about her that weren't necessarily mentioned or explained in the previous FB post or blog. (Blog has been edited a bit- and I rewatched the little video which I still recommend even though it's kind of embarrassingly amateur.)
🌹🌹🌹
-She and my dad served in the Peace Corps in Malaysia for 3 years after they got married. The Rebbe (about whom the yartzheit project is based) was inspired by this very same program started by President Kennedy and it reinforced what he asked his chasidim to do (to move away from their comfortable places of origin and reach out to help others.)
-She loved brownies and baked often. I WISH I could know what she would think of my fudgy black bean brownies!!!! Recipe is no secret- https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/…/no-flour-black-bean-br…/
-She was very sweet about putting us to bed and comforting us when we were upset. I try to channel her when i need to be loving and patient.
-I'm also learning music as an adult- piano alongside Nesya (age 7) and guitar myself.
-Time for me to start giving blood again, like she did as often as they allowed. This was hard for me in the beginning but I built up the courage to do it several times a year, ideally, because I couldn't bear being too wimpy not to, when it was such a great deed my mom did often.
-She was fascinated with people and loved reading. I think she would have loved to read about about the enigmatic Chabad movement and the Rebbe, as well another recent book that comes to mind- Educated, by Tara Westover.
-Please consider for a moment how HORRIBLE a disease cancer is, how it ravages beautiful people, and do anything prudent you can to avoid it. Live healthy! As I looked at pictures it makes me both mad and sad how it can just wreck a person otherwise in the prime of their life.
-Please see my previous FB post- thanks for all the love and replies. I would love to give out more books still so let me know if you are interested.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please submit any comments here and I will try to address them quickly!